ROW
US
Search button
Search our website
Quote button
Add your ingredients to our quote basket
Quote button
Contact a member of the team now
Phone button
Call us now
Additives and excipients

75/75 Maltitol syrup

Product code: P10904

Maltitol is a particularly popular sweetener for use in confectionary such as chocolate, sweets and chewing gum. One of the great things about maltitol is that it is lower in energy than sugar; this is because like other polyols, it is not completely absorbed or metabolised by the body; this can lead to an unwanted laxative effect if too much is used, which is something to be aware of!

As sugar alcohols are not metabolised by oral bacteria, consumption of food or drinks containing maltitol instead of sugar, can contribute to the maintenance of tooth mineralisation. Consumption of foods and drinks containing maltitol instead of sugar induces a lower blood glucose rise after their consumption compared to sugar-containing foods/drinks.

Sweetness Index and Flavour Profile 

Pure maltitol is approximately 90% as sweet as sucrose (aka table sugar).

Unlike other sweeteners, such as steviol glycosides, maltitol does not have any artificial/bitter after-taste associated with it.

Maltitol is the most common sweetener used in sugar free chocolate; one of the reasons for this is that is has a neutral flavour, with a taste profile fits very well with cocoa, enhancing the chocolate taste.

Nutrition Information 

This ingredient is 75% Maltitol; the other 25% is moisture.

In its syrup form it is therefore considered to have 180kcal/100g because pure polyols are considered to have 2.4kcal/100g.

This ingredient is 75g/100g Carbohydrate, of which 75g/100g are 'polyols'

'carbohydrate’ means any carbohydrate which is metabolised by humans, and includes polyols; ‘polyols’ are defined by Regulation 1169/2011 as 'alcohols containing more than two hydroxyl groups'

Regulatory Information 

The e-number for maltitol syrup is E 965 (ii).

Levels should be used in compliance with the Food Additives Regulation (1333/2008)

Maltitols (E 965) come under the following groups: Group IV and Group I.

 

Maltitol syrup is not authorised in the following categories:

-14.1.4 Flavoured Drinks

-13.1.1 Infant Formulae Directive 2006/141/EC

-13.1.2 Follow on Formulae Directive 2006/141/EC

-13.1.3 Processed Cereal-Based Foods and Baby Foods for Infants and Young Children Directive 2006/125/EC

 

While it is permitted in many cases at levels Quantum satis, it is important to consider that maltitol can have some pretty undesirable (laxative) side effects if too much is consumed!

The food information for consumers regulation (1169/2011) specifies that the following information should be included on a label:

  1. Foods containing more than 10 % added polyols authorised pursuant to Regulation (EC) No 1333/2008 are required to have this statement: ‘excessive consumption may produce laxative effects’
  2. Foods containing a sweetener or sweeteners authorised pursuant to Regulation (EC) No 1333/2008 are required to have the statement ‘with sweetener(s)’ accompanying the name of the food, or in the case where sugar is also added ‘with sugar(s) and sweetener(s)’.
Back
Related products

We have detected that you are visiting from the US.

Please choose which of our websites you would like to visit?